The course is scheduled for a total of five (5) days. The fifth day is mainly set aside for both theoretical and practical assessments.
Each day of instruction is divided into four (4) hours of theory and four (4) hours of practical tuition, which makes a total of eight (8) hours per day. Since the course is scheduled for five days, a total of 17 hours would be spent on theory and another 16 hours on practical sessions.
During each practical session learners are given individual attention and hands-on training in operating the GMDSS equipment. This includes coaching procedures and applications of regulations as well as statutes governing maritime communication.
Furthermore, the facilitator avails himself from 16:00 until 18:00 for tutorial sessions with learners who experience challenges in comprehending concepts and procedures.
On successful completion of this course, candidates should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- General knowledge of radio communications and basic features of the Maritime Mobile Service.
- Detailed practical knowledge and ability to use radio equipment.
- Operational procedures of the GMDSS and detailed practical operation of GMDSS sub-systems and equipment appropriate to non-SOLAS vessels.
- General knowledge of the Maritime-Mobile Satellite Service.
- Miscellaneous skills and operational procedures for RT communications.